FINALLY finished the sword-for a future raiden (MGS4) crossplay someday :]
Now when I made this prop I never used foam before; only cardboard. YES I have heard of craft foam for a long time but never really actually used/worked with it nor any other type of foam before. SO this project was my first attempt at foam sword (prop in general) making. And it turned out ok but not quite like I planned it would be cuz there are some issues I had with it lol.
Camping pad -2 sword cutouts
Wood rod – ½” by 41 ½”
DAP contact cement glue Redcan
Cloth Adhesive tape
Black Acrylic paint
Spray Paints-White, Silver, & Black [Cans used: w=2, s=1, b=1]
So I actually started this during my Spring break. I did lots of planning and cut out sketches. In the midweek of spring break, I worked on the pieces that are supposed to be black and have texture. It wasn’t til the weekend of spring week where I actually started construction the sword. It took 2 days for the basic structure-to say 'yea it looks like a sword...at least' (lol).
Day 1 and 2: I tracetwo cut out sketches onto a cheap foam, and cut out the middle of each piece for the wood rod to fit in – to make the sword more durable and wont likely break/bend easily. Next, I covered the foam with cloth tape to keep it secure and to keep its shape. Then, I covered the tape with cement glue and then a layer of craft foam. [The blade/handle I used 1 layer and some areas that are small or was ripped by mistake I applied another layer over it ] Once the craft foam was applied I covered it with polyurethane so the paint will stay on better. ~
Day 3 and idk? : ( Now I didn’t have time to work on the sword for quite awhile TIL this weekend) So, I covered the entire sword with a white base. (WHICH took 2 cans of white paint) I applied black spray paint over the handle, and once the sword was covered in black and white –with none of the original foam color showing- I applied silver spray paint and more polyurethane. Next, I used cement glue and placed the black cut out pieces along the blade. Last, I wrapped string around the handle –with cement glue holding it in place – and added the string loop at the tip of the handle. And used more polyurethane…yes lots and lots of it lol. AND it is now finished! ~
So as I said It turned out alright but its not perfect or anything. I had issues with the camping pad foam. And so, if u look up close to the sword, it isn’t perfectly straight- for the bottom is quite uneven but whatever my first time with foam haha.
I had issues with the cement glue cuz countless times it got my fingers sticking to each other so had to deal with that…… Then when I was moving the pieces around it ripped so I had to apply another layer of craft foam to hide it. SOO what from I learned is that the glue I used…WORKS too well lol. And need to plan out better ways to cover up rips and holes. Yea for the hole in the tip of the handle, I had to punch holes with my scissors so if I had like a hole puncher or something that would have made it look better.
!!!! Now, there is one material I used which I thought of myself and idk if anyone else has tried before. For the pieces on the sword that have a glossy-looking texture, I was trying to think how to give the sword a metal-like texture. So I was thinking and the idea of using ‘shelf liner’ came across my mind. It is fairly cheap, and its simple to cut with scissors. So yea that was the only original idea I came up with. Everything else I got ideas from YouTube and etc !!!!
So I thank you all for sharing your creative ideas and to fellow crosplayers
[ YEA my photos of me didnt turn out so well- Took them at night cuz I wanted to get pics of the sword tonight! ^_^; ]
Well this is done but of course I am far from being over. Next is making 2 knifes, 3 sheaths and his gun….and armor >///<; oh well I know I’ll be sooo happy when I crossplay as him. Itll be worth it ~!
Raiden’s sword design [Metal Gear Solid 4] © Kojima productions
Prop Sword made by © :iconholynunx: